Monday, July 2, 2012

The Next Chapter

I have some big changes coming up soon.  I am getting ready to pursue a dream of mine and, while I am excited about where it may lead, I am a bit sad by the changes that are coming as a result of that decision. However, I am reminded that we serve a God that loves to do new things, and new things can never happen if you don't step out of the "normal."

For those of you that know me fairly well, you know that I have some strong opinions on the direction that we are headed as a country and how we should be living out our Christian faith in the public arena. I am discontent to simply talk about those things. I have been wanting for some time to be more active in helping Christians know how to interact with society in a way that shows the love of Christ, while upholding the standards that God expects from His people and helps to further His kingdom here on earth.

To that end, I have decided to go back to school for one more degree and a career change of sorts. I will be moving to Lynchburg, VA in August to attend Liberty University's School of Law.  Mat Staver, the dean and founder of Liberty Counsel is there and is a cultural warrior that I greatly respect.  I am really looking forward to studying with him and working with organizations like LC as they interact with society. It is my goal to work as an attorney with groups like LC, ACLJ or Alliance Defense Fund as they help protect the freedom of religion in America. I feel like I can work in an area that allows me to impact the Kingdom even though I will no longer be in vocational ministry.

As always, change has its good and bad.  I announced to my church yesterday that I will  be resigning as the worship pastor in early August. I did not do that easily.  This group of folks there have walked alongside me during the hardest thing that I have ever had to face.  They have shown me through their love and action that God's grace and mercy is always stronger than what I come up against. I will be eternally grateful for that. It is no accident that God placed me here during this time in my life and it is with sadness that I say goodbye for this season, but excitement that I turn toward a new chapter.

So, I have some big changes coming up. I am going back to school AND I am going back to school AS AN OLD MAN.   I am moving far away where I know no one yet.  But, I shouldn't really be surprised. God never seems to let me get too sedentary in one place. There is too much to do.

For those of you that I don't get to see everyday, I wanted you to know what was going on and where I am headed.  I look forward to keeping everyone up to date as this journey progresses.


2 comments:

Carol said...

Excited for you Scott. God bless. Carol

Scott said...

Thanks Carol. Now that I can finally talk about it, I am really starting to get excited about the new challenge.