Wednesday, March 12, 2008

How Did We Live?

Ok, so I am no spring chicken. I have been around a couple of the proverbial blocks. I mean, I even remember the age of eight track players, in cars no less.

However, there are two inventions that are such a part of my life, that I am not sure that I can honestly remember what my life was like before them. They are:

1. Cell phones

2. The internet

This came about tonight because, as Carmen and I sat in our living room, she asked if it was true that Alaska was 4 times bigger than Texas. Since my lap top was sitting on my lap (and aptly named) I clicked two times and found out that Alaska is 586, 000 square miles and is, in fact, 2 1/2 times the size of Texas.

I have a vague recollection of, at one point in my life, having to go to a library and look in things called "encyclopedias" to find out information. My life is so much richer and fuller today.

And how did we exist without being able to call someone and get them wherever they are, at any time? I have read in history books that we used to have to come home and check notes left by others to see if someone called us. Wow!!??? How inefficient was that?

What other things have become such an integrated part of life that we can't imagine being without them? (well, besides Teddy Grahams)

No comments: